Friday, January 30, 2015

Henazant Hampartzoumian


Henazant Hampartzoumian

Henazant Hampartzoumian is one of my Great Grandmothers.  She married a man named Avedis Kazarian. Together, they had Harry (James) Kazarian and Albert Kazarian. She was born on August 18th, 1885 in Turkey. She passed on November 8th, 1970 in Queens, New York, USA. My mother has informed me that she had other children that unfortunately deceased during the Armenian Genocide. Henazant is buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery located in Flushing, Queens, New York and died of natural causes. I currently have an open request for pictures of Henazant and Avedis's graves on findagrave.com. Hopefully that will be full filled soon and I can post it here. The 1930 as well as 1940 census both state that they were living at 5017 59th Place in Woodside, Queens County, New York. She worked in the rug repairing business.




Avedis Kazarian was born December 23rd,1890 in Turkey, and passed March 11th, 1957. I have very little information on the Kazarian family. I know from census records that he migrated to America prior to Henazant, but locating these records has been difficult. I have two solid leads, however, I do not know enough information about the Kazarian family to confirm which of these documents is Avedis. Avedis is as well buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery. I do not have his death certificate, so I do not know his cause of death. Hopefully I can get that soon.  Avedis is listed in the 1930 census as in the business of rug repair, and the 1940 census as not working.

Avedis Kazarian
Kazarian Family - Avedis, Henazant, Harry, and Albert



I do have some puzzling questions about Henazant. Most importantly is on a passenger list from migration.

First, I must note, it took me months upon months to find this ship manifest. The only reason I did find it was due Henazant's sister-in law giving birth aboard the ship on the way over. Hampartzoumian can be spelled various different ways. The infant "Harry Hampartzoumian" upon the manifest is spelled the way my mother has told me it is spelled, however, since being born on board, no other family  members were listed on the same manifest page. There was a note off to the side of the manifest that told me what page his mother was on. I indeed searched the many pages to find that manifest and there they all were. Upon viewing this page, the spelling of Hampartzoumian is different. It is spelled Hambarsoumian. I know factually that this infant's parents are Hovsep and my Aunt Zari. And this is confirmed in this manifest. Looking at who else traveled with them, I did see a Henazant. I am purely assuming that this is my Great Grandmother. I also noticed a child "Sarkis" upon this manifest. Sarkis, I assume, is Henazant's child Harry.  I have confirmed through census records that Harry was born in Turkey a whole ten years prior to my Grandfather, Albert, being born here in America. Puzzling to me is that she is listed with Hambarsoumian surname and not Kazarian.  Henazant and Avedis married around 1900 (according to census records). Process of elimination leads me to believe that this is in fact the ship manifest from when Henazant migrated to America.  Also I believe this is her because I do not know of any other Henazant Hampartzoumian's that could or would have been travelling with the family. Another puzzling fact on the manifest states that they were all French Citizens.  After speaking with my husband, whom has a vast brain for History, I discovered that some of the areas over there were under the French. He mentioned Lebanon, and the histories of thus and a little light in me head went off.  A while ago I copied some pictures with Armenian writing on the back to show my friend. She has some Armenian friends who speak Armenian. The results from that were that they could not translate it very well due to the fact that it was written in Lebanese Armenian.  This leads me to believe they resided within an area that was one time under French rule as opposed to actually being in France. I will further this knowledge in the future to get a better idea of what area precisely they were at, particularly because they do state the last city in which they lived as "Merssina". For some History on this region and a better understanding of what was going at the time, click here. This manifest is from the ship Pannonia, departure from Patras, Greece on December 21st, 1920 and arrived to Ellis Island on January 10th, 1921.



Sources:
1930 New York Census
1940 New York Census
Susan Kazarian
ancestry.com
ellisisland.org

No comments:

Post a Comment